Adding a Sitemap to Google for Sites on Heroku

I’m using the awesome Sitemap Generator gem for Rails  and also hosting my app on Heroku.  Since I’m updating my sitemap daily, and Heroku forces me to write to somewhere else, I need to create the sitemap nightly on Amazon Web Services (S3), instead.

The problem I ran into is that when I went to Google Webmaster Tools, it only allowed me to specify a url for the sitemap beginning with the name of my domain.  However, since the sitemap is hosted on AWS, it has an address that starts with an Amazon URL.

I found an answer here.

Basically what you need to do is to add a second property in Google Webmaster Tools for your S3 bucket.  I added a property to my directory with the sitemap (i.e. http://s3.amazonaws.com/mybucket/sitemaps/) and then verified that I owned the property by placing the Google supplied HTML file in the sitemaps folder on S3.

The last step is adding the URL to the sitemap in settings for the new [S3] property that was added to Google Webmaster Tools.

Advertisements

Creating a Manifest.json file for the Google Chrome Store in Windows

I ran into an issue with my manifest.json file when trying to submit my app to the Google Chrome Store.  I followed the directions, but apparently there was a detail that was so simple, it wasn’t documented.  The documentation says to create a text file to put the manifest code, and then to save it as manifest.json.  However, when I loaded my zip file, I kept receiving error messages saying that the manifest.json was not at the root level and couldn’t be found.  The only thing was the file was of course there, and there were no subdirectories in my zip file.

It turned out to be a stupid, basic mistake.

When I looked at the properties of the file, the file was a .txt file, and the full name was actually manifest.json.text even though I couldn’t see the .txt part in Windows Explorer.  I found the solution was that when the file was created, I should have named it manifest.json, but also when I saved it in Notepad, I should have selected “Save as type” as “All Files”.  When you look at the properties, the file type will now be “json” instead of “txt”.