Follow Along as I Stumble on the Path to Learning RoR

Creating a Manifest.json file for the Google Chrome Store in Windows

I ran into an issue with my manifest.json file when trying to submit my app to the Google Chrome Store.  I followed the directions, but apparently there was a detail that was so simple, it wasn’t documented.  The documentation says to create a text file to put the manifest code, and then to save it as manifest.json.  However, when I loaded my zip file, I kept receiving error messages saying that the manifest.json was not at the root level and couldn’t be found.  The only thing was the file was of course there, and there were no subdirectories in my zip file.

It turned out to be a stupid, basic mistake.

When I looked at the properties of the file, the file was a .txt file, and the full name was actually manifest.json.text even though I couldn’t see the .txt part in Windows Explorer.  I found the solution was that when the file was created, I should have named it manifest.json, but also when I saved it in Notepad, I should have selected “Save as type” as “All Files”.  When you look at the properties, the file type will now be “json” instead of “txt”.

Advertisements

Comments are closed.